Principals' Messages

Welcome to the academic year 2018-2019.

We are ready to start an awesome year of learning. I would like to call this year, ‘the year of no surprises!’

The focus of the High School teachers and students this year will be standards-based learning and teaching. What this means:

• The learning and teaching are student-centered. The student is responsible for reaching the standard being taught, empowered by the teacher.
  • Students will use critical thinking, problem-solving and collaboration to answer open-ended questions and solve real-life problems.
  • The skills taught are directly connected to real-life examples. The student will be able to apply newly acquired skills and knowledge into their daily life.
  • Assessments will have different formats, such as performance tasks that genuinely reflect students’ understanding.
  • A number of formative assessments will build up to the major summative assessment. Formative assessments will inform the teacher of how students are doing. The teacher will adjust the teaching strategies accordingly.
  • Students will know ahead of time how they will be assessed through rubrics. The students sometimes will help the teacher build the rubric that makes sense with the task at hand.
  • The teachers’ reports will be more informative about the student’s learning and level attained. The parent and student will know what needs to be done to reach the next level.

That said, it is clear that there should be no surprises during the year.

I wish you all a wonderful school year. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and know that my door is always open. I can be reached at nada.elkayssi@bbs.edu.kw. I am honored to serve as your principal.

Nada El Kayssi 
High School Principal

Welcome to the high school at Al-Bayan Bilingual School!

Welcome back to Al-Bayan Bilingual School! We are excited to get the 2017-2018 school year started.  As a school community, we look forward to working with students, teachers, parents, and families to ensure that all students have a rich, fulfilling year.  It never fails, in my twenty years in education, that the beginning of the school year brings a sense of renewal and excitement. 

At Al-Bayan (BBS), our focus is on your student as a whole.  As a school, we work to prepare your child for challenges of the 21st century and focus on critical thinking and real-world problem based learning in our curricula.  We value the academic success of our students as well as their character development and strive to ensure that our students are fully rounded global citizens.  We are continuing development our use of the Tribes process and renewing and expanding our commitment to community service as part of character development. We strive for all BBS community members to use the four Tribes agreements (Mutual Respect, Attentive Listening, Right to Pass, and Appreciation).

As a school we provide many different ways that students, parents, and teachers can be actively involved in our community.  Students have a plethora of activities to become involved in during their high school career and teachers and parents play an integral role in our community, supporting their students by modeling expectations and reinforcing students’ independence and self-responsibility. 

I would like to emphasize that the school administration and teachers are here to work with families to create success for each and every student.  We are focused this year on implementing our inclusion policy, meaningful integration of technology with the curriculum, international mindedness, and always working to attain the goals of the BBS school-wide strategic plan.

The motivation to consistently seek academic excellence and the development of character in our students is evidenced by our graduates.  As they go out into the world to begin pursuing their dreams, they never fail to make us proud, tackling new experiences and challenges, always remembering their roots as BBS students.

Ms. Laura Divine
Assistant Principal